So you want to try for a child of a specific sex? We’ve got loads of old wives’ tales to share with you to attempt for one or the other, but when it comes down to it, your baby’s sex will be determined by the sperm that reaches the egg and penetrates it first, plain and simple. That being said, these are all fun to try, and no one said practice wouldn’t make perfect.
If you want a BOY:
- Have sex as close to ovulation as possible. Sperm that carry the “Y” chromosome are thought to be faster swimmers, but they don’t live as long as those that carry the “X.” So give them the best chance by cutting it as close as you can to ovulation.
- Women should stay in a horizontal position, or with hips elevated, for at least 30 minutes after intercourse to allow the faster swimmers the chance to get a great head start.
- Focus on his pleasure instead of hers. If he climaxes before you do, supposedly you have a greater chance of having a boy. Maybe he’ll enjoy the chance to not be the sensitive lover for once.
- Have sex on the odd days of the month.
- Have sex at night.
- Three months prior to conception, when the sperm are just beginning to develop, make sure that dad gets lots of love, self-care, and is pretty chill. The less stress hormone, the less “X” chromosomes a man will make, giving you a better chance of having a boy
If you want a GIRL:
- Have sex three to four days before ovulation and then remain abstinent until after ovulation. Sperm that carry the “X” chromosome are thought to live longer, giving them time to hang out in the fallopian tubes, just waiting on an egg. They don’t swim as fast as those that carry the “Y,” but it won’t matter when they’re already next to the finish line when the race starts.
- Women should be on top, or have intercourse in a standing position, to prevent the fast “Y” swimmers from gaining the advantage. Apparently gravity slows them down and evens the playing field for the slower, stronger “X” sperm.
- Focus on her pleasure instead of his. If you climax before he does, supposedly you have a greater chance of having a girl. Maybe this is why there are more males in the global population than females.
- Have sex on the even days of the month.
- Have sex between sunrise and sunset.
- Three months prior to conception, when the sperm are just beginning to develop, if Dad is feeling stressed, overworked, and underappreciated, you are more likely to have a girl. The more stress hormone, the more “X” chromosomes a man will make, giving you a better chance of having a girl. Now, I’m not saying stress him out on purpose, but if he’s a pretty high-strung guy, you may be conceiving a baby girl.
All these tips may be fun to read, and even to try, but when it comes down to it, we can give you your odds of having your preferred gender. It’s still pretty much a 50/50 shot every time. Both Amanda and Ally have children of both sexes and we find that we love them all, and no matter the sex, they are amazing, unique individuals with personalities and talents all their own. Don’t hold on too tightly to your preference, you might be surprised.